Aims of the Exclusion Strategy are to:
- Ensure that parents /carers, students, staff and governors have a clear understanding of actions /incidents which may lead to exclusions from The Sydney Russell School and of the procedures that are followed should an exclusion be unavoidable.
- Demonstrate that any exclusions comply with the ‘Exclusion from maintained schools, academies and PRUs in England’ 2012.
- Ensure that a balance between the needs of the individual student(s) who may be excluded and the needs of the students and adults in the school community is adhered to.
- Make clear that exclusion is only used when it is the most appropriate way of supporting the school’s Behaviour for Learning strategies.
- Ensure that fixed term exclusions are used in the appropriate circumstances.
- Ensure that permanent exclusions are used in the appropriate circumstances.
- Ensure that, in line with DfE Guidance, the school has made reasonable adjustments to the intervention programme for vulnerable students and those students with special educational needs or disabilities
View the full Exclusion Strategy