16-19 Bursary Policy
The 16-19 Bursary is a payment granted to sixth form students in need of financial assistance. Payments are made directly to those students qualifying. To receive payment, a bank account must be active in the student’s name only, payments cannot be directed to parents’ or carers’ accounts. Funds are currently released fortnightly and are conditional on the terms of the bursary contract being met. This amount is subject to variation from year to year and the continuation of the scheme. It is advisable to ensure that Free School Meals are applied for well in advance to ensure qualification, as a strict deadline for receipt of applications is observed and late applications will not be accepted. Students will be able to make applications to the scheme during September 2021.
The YPLA 16-19 Bursary allocation received by the school is variable and subject to change every year. All eligible students are treated equally in relationship to payments and decisions made. Unlike previous systems the monies paid will be dependent on how many students are eligible for payment as there is a limited fund.
Current eligibility for applying for Bursary funding
There are only 2 criteria for eligibility
- Students in receipt of Free School Meals.
- Students living independently, students on income support and students with disability.
- No unauthorised absence and only 1 late in a week (refer to outline below which will also be included on the student contract)
- Adherence to the school sixth form behaviour policy.
Payment criteria notes
- Decisions authorising payments will be made at the student’s home school site.
- Payments will be made fortnightly in arrears.
If you feel a refusal of payment is unfair
- First appeal directly to your school bursary coordinator If unresolved following the first appeal, then second appeal to the School Head of Sixth Form
- Final appeal to the School Principal
If you would like to apply for a Bursary, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes regarding authorisation of payments
- Attendance to all lessons on time
- All work being completed as requested by the teaching staff
- Good behaviour, attitude and effort at all times.
FULL DETAILS REGARDING PAYMENT ARE AVAILABLE IN THE SCHOOL CONTRACT WHICH STUDENTS AND PARENTS SIGN ON APPLICATION FOR THE SCHEME.