Our aim is to raise the achievement of all students by seeking to develop their numeracy skills by a consistent and accurate application across the curriculum. Through standardising the approach, it will enable students to recognise mathematics in a wider variety of situations and thus allowing them to transfer their numeracy skills in a broader context, not purely the skills of computation. It is important to recognise that all teachers are teachers of numeracy. It is the key to success and the long-term sustainable improvement in attainment.
Sydney Russell School will;
- Adopt a whole-school approach to Numeracy across the curriculum in order to raise standards of attainment for all students.
- Recognise the importance of Numeracy in all subjects across the curriculum.
- Identify similarities and differences in Mathematical teaching in different curriculum areas and develop a common approach
- Encourage staff to take responsibility for the development of numeracy in each subject area
- Raise staff and student awareness of key Numeracy strategies through whole school Inset time
Encourage students to transfer Mathematical skills and apply them in everyday and unknown context
View the full Numeracy Strategy