Child Not Collected from School Strategy
Sydney Russell Primary school has a duty of care towards all of those who attend the establishment, and as such protocols need to be adhered to when a child is not collected from school on time at 15:00.
The aims of this strategy are:
• To safeguard the children.
• To minimise distress to the children.
• To have a clearly defined protocol in place.
• To ensure school staff can perform their contractual and voluntary after school duties.
• To safeguard staff who may be left alone with a child.
• To set out clearly for parents and staff the arrangements which will be followed by the school if a child is not collected.
In the event that a child is not collected by an authorised adult at the end of a school day, we will put into practice the procedures outlined by this strategy.
Parents/carers of children starting at Sydney Russell Primary school must provide the following specific information which is recorded on our registration form:
• Home address and home telephone number – if the parents/Carer do not have a home telephone number, an alternative number or emergency contact number must be given.
• Place of work and work telephone number for each parent/carer (if applicable).
• Mobile telephone number for each parent/carer (if applicable) E-mail address (if applicable).
• Name and address of another person who may be contacted in the event of an emergency (this could be a grandparent or other relative).
• Mobile and home numbers, as well as address details, of any authorised person(s) who are allowed to collect the child.
The school will only allow children to leave the premises with parents/carers, or with a person whom parents/carers have authorised to collect their child (authorisation forms can be collected from the office).
We appreciate that occasionally it is difficult for parents to arrive at school in order to collect a child on time. If a parent knows that they are likely to be late they must contact the school by telephone (0208 7248929) to inform us no later than 14:45.
In the event of parents/carers being late, but not contacting the school or expressed an unreasonable time scale for collecting their child(ren), the following procedures will be followed:
• At 15:10, any uncollected pupil will be taken to the front office to be collected.
• The parents/carers/emergency contacts or authorised person will be contacted to ask for the child to be picked up immediately.
• If no one can be contacted and the child is collected late the parents/carers will need to supply the school with updated contact details.
• If the child is not picked up by 16:30 then the Social Care Emergency Duty Services will be contacted (0208 594 8356) and the child(ren) will be taken to the VIBE (0208 227 5891) until social care can attend. The parents/carers will be informed about the procedures followed. A meeting will then need to be arranged with the Head Teacher the following school day to discuss the situation.
• Under no circumstances will staff leave the school premises with the child(ren).
• Parents/carers will be required to meet with the Head Teacher/member of the senior leadership team if the child(ren)’s parent/carer are thirty or more minutes late twice in one term.